Search This Blog

Saturday, June 18, 2016

My head needs replaced.

When I bought Kimmie way back in 2013 I also bought myself a full face HJC helmet.  For the most part that helmet has served me well over time.

It has however caused me some issues over time.   It's prone to fog up in rain or cold, as I suppose any helmet is.  If I keep the visor up for a bit it may pop off the track.  It's getting noisy.  The plastic and the webbing are starting to come off the helmet.  It's been an ongoing issue for me for at least the past year. 

I remember reading somewhere that a lid would only last between three to five years, so it's time for something new, and I am giving serious thought to getting a modular helmet.  I wear glasses and that would make life a little simpler.  Plus if I'm out and about I won't have to take off my gear if I want to have a drink or need to run into a store.

They tend to be pricey however and I am first and foremost a cheap bastard.  Although I also know that the most important thing for me to protect is my head.  I'm also thinking that I want Bluetooth and GPS in the helmet as well.  I'm not a fan of being on the phone while riding, or listening to music (in fact one of the things I love about riding is that their are no distractions) but I do like the idea of having GPS available to me.  Since this is Florida some sort of pinlock to prevent fogging would be nice too.

Of course, now I'm looking at dropping a cool two or three hundred on a lid.  If not more.

It's also time for me to upgrade a bit into a better helmet.  While I'm sure brands like GMAX and HJC are good helmets, I want something that I feel is going to be a little better for me.  I can not afford a Arai or a Shoei lid.

Frankly there has to be something in the middle.  For example, I am really liking the price on the Italian made Caberg Helmets but sadly they seem to not available in America.  Plus being ECE rated they are generally put through more rigorous testing than a DOT approved helmet would be. 



So a modular may be out of the picture if I want the GPS and Bluetooth function.   Or I could add that later on, but I know the way I am and I'll talk myself out of it.   No, if I get those little "additions" I have to get them now or I never will.

2 comments:

Canajun said...

I have owned one-piece full face helmets, modular helmets, and a 3/4 open face helmet. From my experience the most comfortable is the 3/4. Although it doesn't provide the same amount of protection I find that helmet offers the best peripheral vision of them all - and that's an important consideration IMO.

I too wear glasses and I thought I'd like the modular helmets for the same reasons you have quoted. In fact I have owned 2 of them and probably wouldn't buy another. I have found them to be heavier and bulkier than the one-piece full face, and all the hinge mechanism, etc. results in less peripheral vision. They are convenient no doubt, but for my money, if you want full face, go with a one piece.

Just my $0.02. But whatever you buy, make sure you wear it in the store for quite a while before handing over the Visa card.

Trobairitz said...

Good luck with finding a new helmet. Hopefully you will find a comfortable one that you like. If you don't do a lot of highway riding at higher speeds you can consider a dual sport helmet. And use it with the visor rather than goggles.

We have both full face and dual sport and the the dual sport helmet has extra room at the chin bar is really handy and prevents a lot of fog ups, just make sure to wear a buff and tuck it up or your chin/neck gets really cold. The beak on top also blocks out the sun when you are riding into it.