Search This Blog

Thursday, December 10, 2015

December already (a life update)

I find myself in the perfect position over the next few days.   I'm temporarily off work this week due to one project ending and another beginning, and my company has furloughed me in the meantime.   It's warm, dry and sunny for the most part, perfect weather for a ride.

Sadly due to some odds and ends in the real world I've not been able to get out as much as I had hoped.  That's been the story of my life this year.  When I was growing up I used to tease my father in a loving way about the worry lines on his forehead, I used to tell him I was going to play checkers there, now I am his age then and I find myself having those same lines.

I find myself worrying less and less about Susan as the doctors generally feel that they are moving in the right direction and the cancer she has seems to waning.  Although having suffered from a chronic issue myself for years, which could have been diagnosed with a simple blood test, I don't always take doctors at their word.

As I look back on the previous eleven months, I know health factors for both of us have kept me off the bike more than I wanted to.

I've considered selling Kimmy because I've not been riding her, then all of a sudden I get a burst of energy and I'm on her again...going off somewhere, anywhere really and for a few brief moments that spark reignites.  My adventures are simple ones, going to the store for milk...or running an errand.  Later on today or tomorrow I hope to go Christmas shopping for Susan on my bike.  Or take a friend on back up to Tarpon Springs.

There are, as of the time of this writing, only three more weeks in the month of December.  In that time I hope to get in as much riding and mileage as I can.  I know that I won't ride today, as I've got to get new brakes on one of our cars, go pick up some papers and get other legal docs notarized.  I also found out that my small business partner in crime, Mike, picked up another contract for us starting next year and I've a brief meeting to attend on that.

Tomorrow....there is always time tomorrow (he types knowing that comment is dripping with sarcasm).

3 comments:

SonjaM said...

Good to see you in good spirits, Robert. I hope that Susan's condition will continue to improve.

David Masse said...

Rob I'm glad things are looking up.

I know about running errands, that's the story of my life now, for the time being at least.

Who knows what the future holds. Keep the bike, and when you get a chance, ride.

And whatever the future holds, keep the blog up. It's comforting to drop in on your life.

Merry Christmas to you and Susan.

Trobairitz said...

It is good you are back on Kimmie. Some months we ride more than others, but by having the scooter there at the ready it is there when you have the time and inclination. If you sold her you'd miss her.

Glad Susan is doing well. I don't always trust doctors, but at least they generally (we hope) know what they are doing.