Search This Blog

Thursday, August 27, 2015

It's finally getting real (group riding, Bobscoot and updates)


I have plans for the weekend, it's a free weekend for me.  No jobs, no projects that need done.  I was speaking on Facebook with some people I know, and at long last I'll be able to go on a ride with them.

The only concern I have is the heat index.  I refuse to ride without my helmet.  Where I've ridden in the past without a proper jacket, I'm not doing that again.  I will be in jeans and boots.  I'll be riding roads I don't know and frankly I would rather be safe than sorry in case something weird happens.  The group is talking about taking the back roads to Frostproof, Florida.

That is about 70 miles from my house in Zephyrhills but that is the direct route.  When has a motorcyclist ever taken the direct route?   So I'm looking at about 150 to 200 miles (241 - 322 KM) round trip.  I can do that.   The route as it stand now is mostly US 27 and US 17; which will take us close to places like Bok Tower and  Cypress Gardens.  This is the "hill county" of Central Florida and should provide some beautiful vista's and overlooks.  I just hope I can take some photo's.

At this moment the weather is predicted to be 93 F (34 C) with a 50% chance of rain.  If the rain follows the traditional Florida summer pattern of being late afternoon/early evening storms I should be home, safe and dry, before the first raindrop falls  Tropical Storm Erika should not effect Florida at all till Monday and is most likely to skirt to the north of the Sunshine state.  So it's a long ride in the heat and humidity that bothers me, not so much the chance of rain.

The last few times I rode the bike into work I thought I would melt in the saddle as the heat index hit 105 F (40.6 C).  It's got me seriously considering buying either a cooling vest or something from the Heat Out line of gear.  I've been impressed with the Freeze out gear that I have tested.  If I buy anything it's going to have to be soon.  I've used something like what's in the picture before, but that only lasts for an hour or so, from what I understand a cooling vest can be run under cold water and keep you cool for a few hours.   The "heat out" line works by wicking the sweat away from your body.   In any case, I've bringing a few bottles of water.

I'm also thinking that in the coming month or so I should finally get a visit from Bobscoot.  For those of you that may not be familiar with Bobscoot.  He is a avatar of the late great Bob Leong.  Bob was one of the first people to comment on my blog and encouraged me to continue to write about my adventures (and misadventures) on two wheels.   The fourth anniversary of the blog just passed on the 25 of August as a matter of fact.  The little wooden scooter that serves as his proxy has been around the world now.  England, Germany, Australia and New Zealand.   Of course, several states here in the US as well.  I'm honored and scared to be part of that tribute.  I don't travel as much as others.  I'm not one to ride 100 or 200 miles in a day.  I'm simply me.  I'm actually a pretty boring guy.

But that's sort of the point of this isn't it.  To have a celebration of life and riding.   To simply...go.  So I have some things in mind for Bobscoot.  I just hope I can fit them all in with a crazy ass work schedule, weather and life in general.

In a gesture I'm sure he would have loved, I'll be riding to the Jacksonville area to pass Bobscoot on to Bill L. who writes the excellent Rocket and Me blog.  This will be my first meeting with another motoblogger.

So it's going to be nice to get out for a bit.  To meet up with new friends and old.  To my travels with Bobscoot (I've a few ideas in mind).  I'm looking forward to that change of seasons.

3 comments:

Trobairitz said...

Riding in that kind of weather rid no fun at all.

When it gets that hot I soak my Buff (neckwear) in water. It does dry as you ride, but the time until it does sure is nice. We've been known to stand over random sprinklers soaking them in the middle of rides.

Bobskoot would like knowing people were taking the scoot for rides. It wouldn't matter how far. He just loved people and to be included.

SonjaM said...

I admit, I do not ride in sweltering heat. I don't want to compromise on gear, and dehydration can quickly sneak up on you.

Very much looking forward to your upcoming adventures with ScooterBob.

Octoberstudios said...

I'm on the other side of your predicament as Fall weather makes its approach. Winter isn't coming ... yet, but his scout is roaming the mornings and evenings with a chilly wake in its passing. It sounds like you have the right idea with the cooling vest and gear.

Preparation makes the ride. Discomfort affects your safety. I've learned that riding in cold weather.

I'm new to the ScooterBob phenomenon, and have been enjoying the links and blogs on his site. Thanks for posting the link.