Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 25, 2012

The "Happy Holiday" edition

The Holiday Season for me always begins about mid-December.  I have recovered from the over stuffing that is Thanksgiving and have been lucky enough to have been born into a family where my brother is a trained chef.  My ex-wife was a fabulous cook who would put any Iron Chef to shame and my current girlfriend was a restaurant chef and manager for 20 years.

In other words I eat well.  Very well for two months straight.

A fair example of what's in store.
 This Holiday Season is especially important to me this year.  In the past year, I have lost two very good friends and find myself questioning my own mortality.  Tragedy's like the recent shootings at Sandy Hook and a movie theater in Denver have not changed my day to day life in any way, but it does force me to question where we, as a nation, may have gone wrong.

On Friday, the 21st of December...I was hurt in a accident.  Well banged and bruised up, my gear did exactly what it was supposed to do.  I never lost consciousness.  No bones were broke.  Until the police finish their report and the insurance company looks at my bike I can say no more at this time (there was another vehicle involved that left the scene).  I will say this, if I had questions concerning ATGATT (All The Gear, All The Time) I'm a believer now.

This also confirms my desire to take the Road Guardian class and get re-certified in basic first aid.  My getting back on the bike was never questioned.

It's Christmas, I am happy to celebrate it with the ones I love.

4 comments:

Keith - Circle Blue said...

I am glad you are no worse for wear from you "incident" than "well banged and bruised."

I'm convinced eating well helps to cushion many falls. I'm sure this aided your gear in keeping you safe.
~k

Canajun said...

Glad to hear you weren't seriously injured and wishing you a speedy recovery from the bangs and bruises. Enjoy those great meals as you contemplate what your biking future holds.

Martha said...

Oh, that could have been so terrible. I'm happy to read you are OK. Sore, but all original parts in place.

Something like that would certainly change a few things in my mind, but it does take time for the shock and all that information to find the right place and settle down. I wish you the best with that jumble of thoughts and hope you heal well.

Your food looks wonderful. Nothing like options!

Deb said...

Robert-
Glad you are ok!

Food at your house must be fabulous at Christmas!

Hope you had a very merry one!